Hanguranketa ancient palace.
The current Hanguranketha Pothgul Maliga Rajamaha Viharaya was built by a buddhist priest called Poholiyadde Thero in 1830 when the casket of his offering which he carried was firmly bound to this ground when he rested it on this land. According to legend, the priest was on a pilgrimage and he spent on night on this ground. Next day when he was preparing to leave, the casket carrying his offering could not be moved from the place he left it the previous day. The priest considering this an omen, wowed to build a temple on this ground which was called Sangaruwanketha ( now Hanguranketha). It is also believed that this temple is built on the ruins of Devram Vehera which was in existing during Polonnaruwa Kingdom (1070 – 1236). It is recorded that that the kings Sri Weera Parakrama Narendrasinghe (1707 – 1739) and Sri Vijaya Rajasinghe (1739 -1747) used Hanguranketha as the second capital to Kandy and had palace built in this town.
But in 1808 this palace which was then used by Sri Wickrama Rajasinhe (1798 – 1815), the last king of Sri Lanka was burned to the ground by the British forces under a major Johnson. This palace would have been grandeur based on the writings of Robert Knox who was a free roaming prisoner of King Rajasinhe.